At home, people making cakes should follow these general tips:
- always wash your hands before preparing food;
- make sure that surfaces, bowls, utensils, and any other equipment is clean;
- don’t use raw eggs in anything that won’t be thoroughly cooked, such as icing or mousse;
- keep cheesecakes and any cakes or desserts containing fresh cream in the fridge;
- store cakes in a clean, sealable container, away from raw foods.
On the day, people bringing in cakes from home or running the stall should follow these tips:
- transport cakes in a clean, sealable container;
- make sure that cheesecake and any cakes or desserts containing fresh cream are left out of the fridge for the shortest time possible, ideally not longer than four hours;
- when handling cakes use tongs or a cake slice.